Engineering Continuing Professional Competency (CPC) FAQs

Continuing education, or PDH, is known as Continuing Professional Competency (CPC) in Montana.

How many hours of CPC are required for Professional Engineers in Montana?

Engineers in Montana are required to complete 30 CPC hours every two years.

When do Montana Engineers renew their license?

Montana professional engineers must renew by June 30th of even-numbered years.

Do your engineering courses qualify for credit with the state of Montana?

Yes, the Montana Board of Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors does not pre-approve providers of engineering continuing education courses. Each engineer has the power to determine which courses meet the board requirements and their educational needs. Our courses include a short quiz at the end of each PDH that fulfill the requirement to show evidence of achievement and completion. Quizzes are graded automatically, and certificates are available immediately upon completion.

What content is approved for CPCs in Montana?

Technical, managerial, and ethical content that is relevant to the practice of engineering is approved as continuing education for engineers in Montana. Business skills, professional development skills, computer skills not related specifically to engineering, and subjects that are "elementary" or entry level are not accepted.

Who stores my engineering continuing education records?

Technically each engineer is responsible for keeping track and submitting their own certificates, BUT WE STORE ALL CERTIFICATES INDEFINITELY and they can always be accessed for free. PDH completion records must be maintained for a minimum of 4 years.

How do I renew my Montana Professional Engineer's License?

License renewals can be completed online at

Who is in Charge of Engineer's licenses in the state of Montana?

Montana Board of Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors
301 S Park Ave
Helena, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 841-2300

  • Information Last Updated: 02/2020
  • Did you find incorrect information? Email Us